Sunday, December 19, 2010

Oreo Truffles!

Well, I had a few firsts this evening.... first time using a food processor (donated by the mother in law) and first time using a double boiler (homemade). Though making truffles was a first for me too!

I FINALLY got a start on my holiday baking... a late start, since everything has to be done by 8 a.m. Wednesday morning... I'm also working Mon all day and Tues afternoon.  Yup. lol At least none of this is gifts this year, just dessert for the work holiday party and for Christmas Eve dinner.

I thought truffles would be quick and easy, and they were somewhat. My biggest issue was them falling apart a little in the chocolate. I think that it took me so long to melt the chocolate that they dried out a bit. If I make them again, I'll get the double boiler going as I do the steps of the steps.

Photobucket
Sorry for the cruddy pic... I forgt to take one before I put them in the fridge!


Note: I don't know where the recipe is from, but I'd guess one of the brands below ;)


  • 1 (16 ounce) package OREO Chocolate Sandwich Cookies, divided
  • 1 (8 ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
  • 2 (8 ounce) packages BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

Directions

  1. Crush 9 of the cookies to fine crumbs in food processor; reserve for later use. (Cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a rolling pin.) Crush remaining 36 cookies to fine crumbs; place in medium bowl. Add cream cheese; mix until well blended. Roll cookie mixture into 42 balls, about 1-inch in diameter.
  2. Dip balls in chocolate; place on wax paper-covered baking sheet. (Any leftover chocolate can be stored at room temperature for another use.) Sprinkle with reserved cookie crumbs.
  3. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour. Store leftover truffles, covered, in refrigerator.

(I also used sanding sugar and nonpareils to decorate the tops. And also regular semi-sweet chocolate chips as the chocolate)

Now to figure out what to do with the leftover cookie crumbs and melted chocolate... Any suggestions??

1 comment: