Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Yes, indeed. I like to bake - no, I LOVE to bake. I didn't inherit my mom's and grandma's cooking gene (to their dismay...) but I at least got the baking part. And I love trying new recipes.

The problem: J and I don't need to eat a entire batch of cookies, or cupcakes or a whole cake, etc. So I usually only bake when there will be other people around.

Last night, my brother-in-law's girlfriend had J and I and his parents over for dinner. Perfect excuse to make cookies! I chose the following, for the fall season and because I REALLY wanted to make frosting :D

(The picture is upside down - sorry!)

The original recipe is by Bakerella, one of my favorite baking blogs. Here's a link to the exact recipe.
My cookies seemed a bit more cakey (I used all purpose flour and baking soda/salt instead of self rising.) My frosting is also a lot darker and was more like a thicker glaze. It has hardened up well, though. I was sad that I couldn't use my new offset spatula. :(

Here is the recipe:




Pumpkin Pecan Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 1/4 cup self-rising flour
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chunks
  • Whisk together flour and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
  • In a large mixing bowl, cream butter.
  • Add both sugars and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Add vanilla.
  • Add eggs one at a time and beat until combined.
  • Add flour/spice mixture to sugar mixture in three additions. Alternate with pumpkin in two additions, ending with flour mixture.
  • Stir in chopped pecans and chocolate chunks.
  • Drop on cookie tray lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes about four dozen cookies.
  • Let cool.

Maple Brown Butter Frosting
3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup milk
2 tsp maple flavoring
  • Sift sugar and set aside.
  • Melt butter over medium heat until golden brown. Watch closely so it does not burn.
  • Add butter to sugar, scraping all the butter into the bowl.
  • Add milk and maple flavoring. Stir until smooth.
  • Spread on top of cookies with an knife or offset spatula.

0 comments:

Post a Comment