Friday, June 29, 2012

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie Review - Cozy Mystery Challenge


Summary: Considered the best mystery novel ever written by many readers, And Then There Were None is the story of 10 strangers, each lured to Indian Island by a mysterious host. Once his guests have arrived, the host accuses each person of murder. Unable to leave the island, the guests begin to share their darkest secrets--until they begin to die. (from Amazon)

My Thoughts: I had never read an Agatha Christie book before this one. I know, I know! I am not even sure why, other than that I prefer my mysteries set in the U.S. And based on this book, I would read another Christie book, but they wouldn't be my first choice.

And then There were None starts out at a frenetic pace, which carries on throughout the book, We are introduced to the 10 strangers on their way to the island - most arriving via train. Being introduced to 10 characters in 16 pages makes it a little hard to keep them straight! One they get to the island. people start dropping like flies, and it makes a good mystery trying to find out who is the killer and what the motive might be. I liked the ending of the book itself - and that can make or break a book for me. But Christie added an epilogue that ruined the ending for me. BUT then she added a postscript of sorts that totally saved the ending.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars. The writing is excellent, and the concept is pretty amazing, but it was hard to keep the characters straight.



0 comments:

Post a Comment