Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Radical Review Wednesday: Smoogy Frozen Cheesecake Cookie Sandwich

The Smoogy in Original Lemon

My husband and I are suckers for just about any food competition program on TV. So when we heard about Supermarket Superstar - where home cooks competed to get their product onto supermarket store shelves - we had to watch! It was a pretty good show, and the winner was the Smoogy, an ice cream sandwich made with a flavored cheesecake filling instead of ice cream.

When I saw it in this week's Waldbaum's ad, I knew we had to try it!


Smoogy is a good size with a lot of filling

The first thing I noticed was the size. I thought it was comparable to to other ice cream sandwiches. It also had a lot of filling. I also noticed that the filling was off  center, with a lot more on one side than the other. They are individually wrapped in the plastic you can see in the picture above.

A bite of Smoogy-ness

The is a definite cheesecake taste, with a good lemon aftertaste. However, they also taste a little bit chemically. The cookie is the best part -  a good size that tastes like a spice cookie. I did find the Smoogy difficult to eat, though, because where the cookie touches the cheesecake filling, it hardens, thus making it difficult to bite then chew tthe cookie. The edges stay nice and soft. I have not had that problem with other ice cream sandwiches.

Smoogy nutrition info
Looking at the nutrition facts, Smoogy is slightly worse than the tubs of ice cream I had in my freezer - however, ice cream's serving size is 1/2 cup, and I know that I have more than that at one time! So it seems more of less like a wash to me. But, $3.99 (on sale) for three servings makes these expensive, and I just don't think the taste justifies the price. I would not buy these again.

If you want more information, there is a Web site - smoogycookie.com/ but that doesn't really have too much info on it!



1 comment:

  1. LB married to Jeff I am a SMOOGY lover! I've order this product from the creator multiple times and my family and co workers CANNOT get enough of them. We don't have the A & P stores in my area so I'm not sure what you're talking about maybe because we've never had the manufactured ones but anytime I can order them we are ready! I just sent Tekisha the creator an email to see if we can get an order for 250 people for our Fall/Thanksgiving Festival! Those cookies a freakin awesome!

    ReplyDelete