When I saw mac and cheese shredded cheese at the grocery store... I knew this had to be on the menu this week!!
|Sorry for the cruddy picture! Promise it taste better than it looks!|
Skillet Mac and Cheese
(adapted from this recipe)Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes
1 pound dried whole wheat medium shells
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
5 oinces skim milk milk
(you can substitute 2 cups of skim milk for the evaporated milk if you prefer)
3/4 teaspoon, salt
2 cups shredded mac and cheese cheese or cheddar cheese
1. Cook macaroni according to directions on box.
2. While it is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and stir until completely blended. Add milk and salt and stir over medium-low heat until blended and mixture starts to thicken. This may take 3-5 minutes.
3. Add cheese and stir well.
4. Drain noodles and stir in cheese sauce.
5. sprinkle with breadcrumbs if so desired.
I accidentally overcooked my roux (butter/flour/milk mix)... It was ready but we had a spider emergency *eek* so I moved it to another burner to stop the cooking- the same one that the shells had been on, so it was still hot! d'oh! So, just to let you know, it is OK if it is overcooked a bit - it will just be bit thicker and not as creamy. But still yummy!