Thursday, August 2, 2012

Skillet Mac and Cheese Recipe

Jeff's favorite meal is macaroni and cheese. He has talked about creating a macaroni and cheese blog to review different macs and cheese meals he eats... I am trying to get him to review the ones I make on my blog. However, I wanted to be sure to get this one up so here is a quickie skillet mac and cheese recipe that is slightly healthier but just as yummy. It is also easy and you can make the sauce as the macaroni is cooking.

When I saw mac and cheese shredded cheese at the grocery store... I knew this had to be on the menu this week!!


Sorry for the cruddy picture! Promise it taste better than it looks!

Skillet Mac and Cheese

(adapted from this recipe)
Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes

1 pound dried whole wheat medium shells
4 Tablespoons butter
4 Tablespoons flour
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
5 oinces skim milk milk
(you can substitute 2 cups of skim milk for the evaporated milk if you prefer)
3/4 teaspoon, salt
2 cups shredded mac and cheese cheese or cheddar cheese
breadcrumbs, optional

1. Cook macaroni according to directions on box.
2. While it is cooking, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and stir until completely blended. Add milk and salt and stir over medium-low heat until blended and mixture starts to thicken. This may take 3-5 minutes.
3. Add cheese and stir well.
4. Drain noodles and stir in cheese sauce.
5. sprinkle with breadcrumbs if so desired.

I accidentally overcooked my roux (butter/flour/milk mix)... It was ready but we had a spider emergency *eek* so I moved it to another burner to stop the cooking- the same one that the shells had been on, so it was still hot! d'oh! So, just to let you know, it is OK if it is overcooked a bit - it will just be bit thicker and not as creamy. But still yummy!





1 comment:

  1. Yum! I know what I will be having this week! This sounds so goof and I love that it is a little healthier. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete