Monday, January 27, 2014

Tree Cake - Baumkuchen (January Daring Bakers Challenge)

The January 2014 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Francijn of "Koken in de Brouwerij". She challenged us all to bake layered cakes in the tradition of Baumkuchen (tree cake) and Schichttorte (layered cake).


Tree Cake - Baumkuchen




Well this challenge did not work too well for me! For some reason my batter was really thick, and in using a 10 inch springform, the pan was just too big.  So my layers were too thin, and the sides almost burned and the bottom was pretty hard yet the inside wasn't fully done.

Tree Cake - Baumkuchen
You can't really see the layers - but I did get in 9 of the 10! Then the chocolate glaze was wayyyyy to thick. I tried to thin it out, but it was still incredibly thick. You can see how thick it is in the above pic.

Tree Cake - Baumkuchen
See how dark the edges are? Oh well. It still tasted REALLY good - moist with a slight almond flavor. And as a bonus - I made my own marzipan! Maybe that had something to do with the thickness of the batter, not sure, but I was still pretty proud of myself!

homemade marzipan! Woo!
I won't include my recipe here, but if you want it, lmk, and I will post it!




0 comments:

Post a Comment